Pet Training and Behavior Consulting: A Model for Raising the Bar to Protect Professionals, Pets and Their People
A Model You Can Implement Into Your Pet Business
About This Book
In this book, we present our views on the need for a level and model of oversight in the fields of pet training and behavior consulting and for those choosing to practice within them. We discuss the prevalence of individuals who hold no credentials, formal education, knowledge or skills, yet who are today working across the nation with full responsibility for the well-being and welfare of their unknowing clients’ treasured pets.
We believe that the pet industry worldwide needs increased regulation, oversight, and adherence to policies and procedures, and best practices as applied to:
1. The concept of professional competency, skills, and knowledge of practitioners.
2. The delivery of and adherence to professional ethics of a similar and high standard, such as those applied in the behavioral sciences and the medical profession.
3. Transparent and honest operational policies that protect the end-user and the consumer from fraudulent and deceptive operational and marketing practices.
You can also access this book in print. Order from Amazon here.
The book also highlights the lack of consumer protection and transparency across the marketing and operations platforms of many pet-related businesses, as well as the inherent weakness in how pets are legally classified, and how the current lack of reported and enforced animal cruelty laws means there is insufficient protection when it comes to holding pet professionals accountable for their methods, approach and philosophies toward their craft and the pets they serve. Want access now?
This book is dedicated to the millions of pets who share our lives, our homes and our love – You deserve better!
- One: What Is Occupational Licensing?
- Two: Living Property - The Need for a New Legal Definition
- Three: Professionals Should Exemplify and Promote Anti-Cruelty Statutes
- Four: How Pets Learn and the Consequences of Methodology, Equipment and Philosophical Choice
- Five: A Call for an Industry Wide, Professionally Acknowledged Best Practice
- Six: Canine Communication and Social Behavior
- Canine Communication and Social Behavior
- Seven: Competency Is Mission Critical
- Eight: Ethics in Pet Training and Behavior Consulting
- Nine: Consumer Protection and Transparency
- Ten: Pet Industry Oversight Recommended Implementation Model
FREE Individual Downloads come with this book
- Appendix A: The Recommended Best Practice Model for Pet Training and Behavior Consulting Professionals
- Appendix B: The Recommended Model for the Assessment of a Professional’s Knowledge and Skill
- Appendix C: The Recommended Career Stage Mentoring Model
- Appendix D: The Recommended Consumer Acknowledgement Form for Transparency in Dog Training/Behavior Consulting Services
- Appendix E: The Recommended Case Study Template for Behavior Consultants
- Appendix F: The Recommended Corporation Professional Code of Conduct and Ethics Pledge
- Appendix G: The Recommended Policy for Registration Renewal via Continuing Education
This book is written by Niki Tudge MBA PCBC-A CDBC CDT , Susan Nilson BA (Hons) DipCABT PCBC-A, Debra Millikan PCBC-A AABP-CABT CAP2 and Louise Stapleton-Frappell BA (Hons) PCT- A PCBC-A CAP3 CTDI DN-FSG DN-CPCT CWRI